1. 女生占领男厕所 nǚshēng zhànlǐng nán cèsuǒ – A group of women in Guangzhou are giving new meaning to the concept of a bathroom being “occupied.” Their “occupy men’s bathroom” movement seeks to shine light on the issue of gender equality by staging protests in and around men’s bathrooms. Here’s the story in Chinese, and here’s an in-depth look on Baidu Beat.
2. 机场天价午餐 jīchǎng tiānjià wǔcān – Make sure you eat lunch before heading to the Urumqi airport! A netizen posted about paying 380 yuan for a simple bowl of beef noodles and pot of milk tea. Here’s the story in Chinese.
3. 归真堂熊场开放 guīzhēntáng xióng chǎng kāifàng – In the face of harsh condemnation for bear bile extraction (pictured above), Fujian-based pharmaceutical company Guizhentang has agreed to allow journalists and animal rights activists to visit its bear farms. Here’s the story in Chinese, and here’s an English article.
4. 柏寒 Bǎi Hán – Actress Bai Han died on Sunday at the age of 56. Here’s the story in Chinese.
5. 陈吉宁 Chén Jíníng – The announcement that 48-year-old Chen Jining has been appointed the new president of Tsinghua University surprised many people, given his young age and lack of university fellow (院士) status. Here’s the story in Chinese.
6. 撒贝宁出单曲 Sā Bèiníng chū dānqǔ – Popular CCTV host Sa Beining has joined forces with singer Xiao Ke (小柯) to release a single, marking his first foray into the music industry. Here’s the story in Chinese.
7. 副局长粗口短信 fù júzhǎng cūkǒu duǎnxìn – A microblog post by a person claiming to be a teacher in Hebei Province accuses the deputy director of the bureau of Human Resources and Social Security (人力资源和社会保障局, shortened to 人社局) in Hebei’s Zhangjiakou City of tampering with the selections process for high-ranking teachers and sending text messages with swear words and other menacing language. Here’s the story in Chinese.
8. 东莞工人跳楼 gōngguǎn gōngrén tiàolóu – The second suicide of a stationery factory worker in Dongguan, Guangdong Province, has motivated over 200 employees to leave the two companies that the deceased worked for, and sparked an investigation into the factories’ work conditions. Here’s the story in Chinese.
9. 逸夫小学变4s店 yìfu xiǎoxué biàn 4s diàn – Local villagers in Weinan City, Shaanxi Province, are protesting the conversion of a primary school into a car dealership by piling dirt up in front of it. Here’s the story in Chinese, and here’s an English article.
10. 奢侈动车 shēchǐ dòng chē – China’s bullet trains are the subject of major scrutiny right now following a report that parts were bought at prices far higher than the market rate, leading many to suspect foul play. Here’s the story in Chinese, and here’s an English article.
animal mistreatment animals Baidu Baidu Knows Baidu products car accident celebrities corruption Crime dogs e-commerce Education Entertainment Fashion food games gaokao Henan Infidelity internet celebrities Internet phenomena Japan Kids These Days Law Love magic Music Netizen empowerment official misconduct PDA plastic surgery politics religion scandal Sex sexual harrassment social elites Society spoiled privileged teens Sports Technology Top 10 Countdown 2011 Top Ten Search Terms Trending Topics Weird